Monday, April 9, 2012

Memory Lane Monday - Pupcake

So I start a blog about reading, writing, and sewing...and what do I post?  Cakes!

Silly, I know.

Maybe I just need to remind myself that I won't always be a beginner quilter.  I started out as a beginner cake decorator, too, right?  Right.  Everyone starts somewhere.

Here is one of my favorites:  The Pupcake. 

It was a huge 14" round cake, two-layers, covered in vanilla butter cream ("VBC") basket weave, topped with hand-formed sugar daisies and, you got it, "pup"cakes.  I used Wilton's Mini Wonder Mold pan as the base, then just improvised with VBC for the little pups: a Dachshund, a Lhasa Apso, and a Westie.  The little pink ears and tongues were with Wilton's Sparkle Gel in Pink.  I remember trying to tame that Doxie "fur" smooth was a P-A-I-N...but totally worth it.

It was a lot of work, and I wish I could re-do that basket weave in hindsight.  Slightly wonky, but hey, I'm not exactly competing against Ron Ben-Israel.  :)  The handles were fondant colored to match the VBC, and dried overnight to stiffen and stick inside the cake firmly.

Hey look here...I forgot I even had a butterfly on there! 



I used the Wilton Color Flow to make that, with a hand-drawn template of a butterfly under wax paper.  Color Flow is great - it acts somewhere between cookie icing and royal icing, but dries with a gorgeous shine (unlike RI).

The cake was for Ashlie, my second cousin - a beautiful young lady with the prettiest little smile you've ever seen. 

I'll stick to the topic next time...except for Mondays when I'll allow myself a bit of nostalgic whimsy.

Have a wonderful week!

Cheers!
Dana C.

No comments:

Post a Comment