Saturday, March 17, 2012

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!


St. Patrick's Day Blessings Upon You!

I'm extremely proud to descend from Irish heritage on my mother's side.  Having recently become addicted to Ancestry.com, she and I have both squealed like little girls every time we verify a connection to our Emerald Ancestry.  For another project, which I'll explain another day, I also did some research on the language (i.e. I'm no expert, but if you are, please excuse any mistakes! *smile*).

So, in honor of St. Pat, I'm showing you my Irish UFO (Unfinished Object).


I picked up the fabric from Jo-Ann's a few months ago.  I did keep the selvages this time, but they didn't say much.  I'm a new quilter, so for the most part I'm using more bargain fabric.  The top is from Fabric Traditions, the second is made in Japan, and only stated "Color Collage D#6494."  Aren't those tiny shamrocks lovely?  The bottom, my favorite, said only it was designed and produced specifically for Jo-Ann Fabrics.



Here is that Irish fabric solo.  I love that it's a novelty print with sophistication: deep jewel tones versus neon greens, and it says nothing of St. Patrick's Day, only of Ireland.  After all, Erin Go Bragh (Ireland Forever), not just in March.  
  
And what do you do with Irish Fabric?  An Irish Chain Quilt, of course!  I've used the template for a traditional Double Irish Chain from Marcia Hohn at the Quilter's Cache, which results in a different-looking block than the traditionally pieced methods I've seen.   Marcia has such a wonderful site - be sure to visit!  I have two blocks complete and all I can say is Thank Goodness for Strip Piecing!

That's all for today, lads and lasses.  I'm off to play with my own little leprechaun ... and I don't think my hubby is wearing green, which means I will have some of my own shenanigans today.

Regardless of your own proud heritage, remember:  Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day!

Slàinte!
D. C. 


No comments:

Post a Comment