Friday, March 16, 2012

Kidney Stones, English Paper Piecing, and a New Kit

Well my week started off with a bang...actually it started off with a kidney stone.  Fun?  Not so much.  Unlike childbirth, it is not a pain you forget (remembering one from the late 90s like it was yesterday).  Also unlike childbirth, you don't have a sweet little baby afterwards.  For me, it was 3 days in bed with no sewing machine!  I'm so thankful for my dear hubby, who in his most incredible way, managed the house, a pre-schooler, and a high-maintenance patient.  J.R. surprised me today with a bouquet of flowers - he knows just how to help Mommy feel better!

So, no sew via Singer.  Being a glass-is-half-full type, I decided to start English Paper Piecing.  Then, I decided I should have a little sewing kit for all those little paper pieces.  Once the big pain passed (pun intended), I was able to sit up with my fabric, notions, Netflix, and a bottomless glass of Light Cranberry Juice.  I followed a fantastic tutorial from Holly at chezbepperbebe - check it out here.   Her kit is adorable perfection and mine is...functional but cute imperfection?  I wasn't brave enough to try the embroidered pin cushion, but you have to see how cute it is!  Anyhow - it was a fun pattern to follow and the finished kit is great for bed-rest piecing.  Thanks, Holly!

You can see my mess inside already *blush*, but isn't it adorable?  I keep unpinned papers in the pocket, along with a tape measure.  I also improvised on the pin cushion and trash bin.  I never had a needle book before, but her pattern was really easy to follow and came out super cute.  I did a plain white interior so it was easier for me to find things.

Here is a closeup of the fabric.  Like a cotton-headed ninny muggins, I trimmed the selvage and tossed it before writing it down.  I bought it at Hancock's Fabrics a couple weeks ago and the salesperson said they tend to sell it out quickly.  I hope to go back and update this with the name, etc.  *drat*

That's enough excitement for one day.  Taking pictures of the kit atop my new Ikea Skruvska chair was the only time I've spent in my hobby room this week.  Hopefully I"ll be back in the saddle Skruvska again soon!

Cheers!
D. C.

No comments:

Post a Comment